First Call Resolution Rate
What is the first call resolution rate? Why is this an important metric?
First Contact Resolution (FCR) is at the top of the list for many organizations when it comes to the metrics they’re tracking. Also referred to as first-call resolution in contact centers where the primary mode of contact is by phone, FCR helps organizations track the efficiency with which their representatives are able to resolve customer issues.
It’s no great surprise that customers who call with any kind of question — billing, account status, product information, technical assistance, etc. — want their questions answered as quickly as possible. Companies share this goal, as faster resolution equates to lower support costs. For basic issues, this may be accomplished on the customer’s first inbound call; for more technical or complex issues, multiple contacts are often inevitable. Some issues require research and cannot be resolved on the spot. In either case, ongoing communication with the customer while the problem is being resolved is the critical factor.
To effectively measure FCR, organizations need to track the number of customer contacts per issue regardless of the communication channel. This can be a difficult task! A January, 2008 study by ICMI showed that:
- Just over 50 percent of the almost 300 contact center professionals surveyed measured FCR for live agent calls.
- 25 percent said they tracked FCR for e-mail.
- Less than 4 percent measured FCR for issues processed via chat.
As with other contact center metrics, one of the main advantages of tracking FCR is to help measure the effectiveness of new initiatives. By measuring FCR prior to implementing a new procedure or initiative, a baseline can be established. This baseline can then be compared to subsequent measurements taken after the procedural change, training or coaching. If an improvement in FCR is observed, progress can be tracked; if not, the training or procedural change may need to be revisited.
- The Business Case for First-Call Resolution
- The Role of First-Call Resolution in Customer Satisfaction
- Altitude Software Flies High With First-Call Resolution
- How to Improve First-Call Resolution
- What Are Your Contact Center Metrics Really Telling You?
- First-Call Resolution in the Health Insurance Industry
- First Call Resolution—It’s Impact and Measurement
- First Call Resolution: Key for Continuous Improvement — Ascent Group
- The First Time’s the Charm — Nice.com
- Stop Looking! The First Contact Resolution Silver Bullet is Already Here
If you know of an external resource that should be included on this index, please add it by commenting below, or contact email@example.com. No permission is necessary to link to this page or host copies of internal resources linked to on this page — attribution, however, is required.